Sunday, January 24, 2010

In the Name of the.....

So last weekend before this weekend.  Makes sense I guess.  I made Sunday my Church day.  Fitting I guess :)

First Church was Oude Kerk (Old Church) in the heart of the Red Light District.  Not much to see in the church and there are being renovations done.  The area where Saskia's grave can be found (wife of Rembrandt) was under construction so I couldn't see it.



Stalls that have each have a different meaning.


Can't shit money (or something like that....along the lines of 'money doesn't grow on trees'):


There are also something like 2,500 graves in the floor of the Church.  Some really fancy:


And some they don't even know who they belong to:


The largest organ in Amsterdam is also here:

View from the back towards the front:



From here I headed to the Church that has many different names - Amstelkring Museum, Church in the Attic, Museum Ons' Lieve  Heer op Solder.  It served as a secret parish church for Catholics until they were allowed to worship in public - also in the Red Light District.

Outside of the Church:

Inside of the Church:


Then I was hungry.  Time for some Belgian Fries in Amsterdam (and why not go to a stand named after the peeing statue!!)


And my final church - the Niewe Kerk (New Church) in Dam Square - the Old Church only beat it by about 100 years.  I wasn't too interested in the special exhibit there about Oman.  The Church would be free but the exhibit costs 12 euro (3 euro with Museumkaart)...not really worth it since I didn't look at the Oman stuff too much but whatever.


I loved the wood carving on this pulpit (so you get 2 pictures of it!)




Not much else happened on Sunday - some day over the course of the week - I watched my non-favorite/favorite show "Style By Jury".  This lady hasn't had a date in 15 years (I really think it was MORE than 15 years - she was crazy religious and on her "blind date" she left in the middle of it because she couldn't talk to the guy - cracked me up...in a sad way).


And this is a tasty salad I ate sometime during the week:  Lettuce, Noodles, Goat Cheese, Apples, Walnuts, Honey Dressing YUMMMY!!!!!!!!!!!  (Yeah I ate most of it before I took the picture - it was just too tasty!)



That's it for here.

No comments:

Post a Comment