Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Story of My Life....abc0123abc


The past week has been pretty bogged down with work.  I leave my apartment by 7:50 and don't get home until 9:15/9:30ish.  It makes for long days...and when I get home...this is what I see:



Yes....that is the constant attempting to connect to the internet.  Gotta love typing in the password constantly - abc0123abc - most of the time it doesn't work - the right internet connection doesn't show up or if it does it says it is connected with "no signal".  Pretty sweet.


Plus...it snowed....a lot for Amsterdam:





And not sure if Hell has frozen over or just Amsterdam (yes, those people are skating on the canal).  I definitely would not trust the "ice".  On the sides of the canals you can see the water!



I needed to get out of the house today - I wasn't quite sure where I wanted to go at first (it was either a Church tour day (New and Old and Church in the Attic) or another museum I could get in with my Museumkaart.  I somehow just made my way to the tram and took it to Waterlooplein which answered the question - I was going to another museum.

First though, I walked around the Waterlooplein Flea Market - well only one little section of it.
 
My favorite part....the tear gas masks....not sure if someone had used them already for a protest or if they were "brand new"!  And at only 10 euros - what a steal!



I walked to Museum Het Rembrandthuis (aka Rembrandt's House).


It was interesting.  They had an inventory of what had all been in his house (when he went bankrupt they inventoried his possessions).  Although there were no Rembrandt paintings there were a lot of etchings.  They are really interesting - he would draw on the metal plate and then the drawings were printed on paper.  Next to the "original" etching they also showed either the reverse of the drawing or the actual etching plate Rembrandt had used.  It's fascinating to see the drawing in reverse - they look so different depending on how you look at it (and Rembrandt, for the most part, drew on the etchings without reversing the image).

Original Etching on Left, Reverse on Right:



Again, Original Etching on left, Reverse on Right:



I was hungry after the tour so I went headed out to try Rick Steves' recommended Sara's Pancake House.  I had chicken, cheese and mushroom.  I do have to say that The Pancake House was much better.  But it was still alright.  When I was done eating I walked home, watched a lame cheesy movie (that I had seen already), did some reading and hopefully soon will be headed for bed.

Tomorrow - hmm....not sure.  Maybe Church day (but first I have to look if the Churches are open on Sundays) or maybe the Dutch Resistance Museum (I don't think I get in free though...) and Dutch Theatre.  I'm running low on things to see in Amsterdam....time to plan a trip.  Any suggestions on where to go or what to see!?

No comments:

Post a Comment