I successfully made it to work (both via taxi). The first day - I liked the taxi driver. He typed the street into his little GPS thing and we successfully got there. Today...ugh...the driver was smoking when I got in. He had no clue where it was so I told him it was near the Holiday Inn - so that's where he drove. Finally I told him just to pull over by the Holiday Inn and I would walk the rest of the way!! It isn't far away so it was no big deal.
Yesterday I met a lot of people - and most of them I don't remember their name!! They say their names so fast that it is hard to pick it up (plus there is no names on the desks to use as a reference)....so I just don't address anybody directly yet :)
They don't really have a workspace for me so I am at a random table placed at the end of two desks. It works though. I have an internet connection and a power supply - that's all I need! I will be taking over Robin's work (he only works two days a week and studies the other days....so if he has an exam one week he doesn't work at all). There will be someone from the GSC coming in mid-January to take over all this work so basically I am learning the job from Robin so that I can train the person who comes from the GSC.
On the first day I went to lunch with a few coworkers - we headed to the mall where i got a chicken sandwich which was really good (place was sort of a random assortment of food like pre-made fresh salads, wok, sandwiches or pizza). Day 1 I left work at 7:15ish and Sandra walked me to the 5 tram. It's a LONG walk - probably 20-25 minutes. I didn't know how to buy tickets so I got a free ride. I made it to the correct stop (Leidesplein) and back to the hotel.
I asked the concierge for an Italian restaurant recommendation and he suggested Ristorante Italiano Fiorentino - I had Pappardelle alla Toscana (mushrooms, garlic, meat suace, cheese and cream) - which was very delicious. I was at dinner alone....and had forgotten a book. So I "journaled" to have something to do. The waiter who wasn't working heckled me and asked if I was writing him a letter. Too bad I couldn't come up with a witty response. Earlier he had hairsprayed his head to get the "Rico Suave Italiano" gelled back hair look....blah.
Day 2 I attempted to go to Rai Station at lunch to get a tram pass. I wanted a pass that would last for at least a month since I'm going to need it. I could NOT figure it out. Usually these things are pretty idiot proof for the tourists but I must just be a huge idiot. It wanted an ID number to order the month-long pass (which Sandra had previously said you didn't need)....so whatever....it just meant no tram tickets for me. I decided to go back after work because there were supposed to be people working (starting at 4) who could help me. Yep, of course there was no one around that I saw who could help so I walked back to my tram 5 station (which by the way is the opposite way as Rai Station from work).....had no tickets again so another free ride...
This time for dinner I asked for a good Dutch restaurant and I got the recommendation that Andrea had mentioned previously - The Pantry. Again the concierge/bell boy called ahead and made me a reservation (for 1). When I arrived my table had a "RESERVED" sign on it even though there were plenty of open tables. I was right in the window! Luckily I had brought a book (Rick Steves' Amsterdam) so I pulled that out to read. I ordered Hutspot which is mashed potatoes mixed with stewed beef, carrots and onions and served with a meatball. It was really delicious - filling meat&potatoes kind of meal. I got mints with the bill that were in the shape of hearts - fun stuff :)
After dinner (and having learned about the area from Rick Steves), I walked down "Restaurant Row", through Leidseplein and down Leidsestraat to the Albert Hein for groceries (this time they were out of fresh bread so I bought peanut butter (still have 2 pieces of bread so that's lunch tomorrow), some donut hole thingys with frosting, a bottle of water and some chocolatey peanut thing that looked tasty to me! I'll let you know how that turns out. I then walked back to the hotel and am currently paying $7 (plus local taxes) for internet. I could either pick 6.95 euro for one hour or 6.95 for 60 minutes. I picked 60 minutes cause it's a bigger number ;) ROCK ON.
Is Amsterdamn closer to the North Pole that he comes there so early or what? Maybe it is the REAL santa claus!
ReplyDeleteI hope you eat some gingerbread/chocolate cookies. I had them when Rene our sales guy in Utrechts came to the last XMas party.